Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Affiliate Programs and Funky Links

How do I feel about a web site that is provided to you, such as affiliate program sites, sites with funky links, and subsites such as bob.aa.com or aa.com/bob? I have to warn you that people do tend to want to visit the main site - i.e. if they encounter a funky link or a subsite, they want to enter the main website name into their browser. This means that the website owner gets the sale or the benefit of your link. Having said that, they can work for you under the right conditions.

For instance, the image on the left is for a link into Amazon.com for the book "The Greatest Networker in the World" by John Milton Fogg.  This is a wonderful book about building relationships and images with others as you build your MLM business.  You can buy the book with this link and I get a small commission.  I wonder, though, will people buy using the link or go search Amazon.com for the book?  It's just as easy to do either... I mean there is no real reason to buy from me.  I don't offer a discount or a guarantee so what is the reason to buy?  Having said that, I find the ads and links to be somewhat successful.

I use the Google Adsense advertisements throughout my blog and I also find them to be successful.  However, I personally would not include them if they interfered with the website in any way.  They seem to blend in nice and people do click on them.

I have also seen websites built by MLM companies or MLM uplines that provide a "free website" to a distributor which uses what I will call a "funky link" like affiliate.asp?rc=1234, which tells the website which affiliate is linking so the new distributor or sale can go to them.  Again, this can work but beware that people will visit the main site.  If the main site contains a prompt for the code (i.e. 1234 above) and nothing else, it is probably not a bad thing.  If instead the prospect can sign up under your upline... not so good.

I continue to experiment with advertising here on my blog but I don't really make money off of any of them at this time, so I am just trying to see what looks nice, is not too distracting, and is effective with visitors to this site.  I really like chitika because they only advertise to people who visit my site from a search engine and not to regular visitors.  You can find out more information at http://chitika.com/publishers.php?refid=shrinkme.

What I absolutely do not advise is to join more than one multi-level marketing company at one time.  In this case, you really need to put all of your eggs in one basket. 

Please let me know if you have any questions by commenting on this article.

2 comments:

Liza said...

Practical points and advice you have here. Not all are really rewarding online. Due diligence should be implemented. Keep up the good job! By the way, I also found one program that has a big difference in helping others and making money at the same time. Good luck. Enjoy the Holidays!

Brian E. Satterlee said...

I am afraid that Liza's comment is a case for being extremely aware of what happens when you mistype the url of your affiliate site. I clicked on "big difference" in the body and the web site name was mistyped so I changed it to the root directory. If I would have clicked on "Liza" instead, it would have gone to her site.

Please be very aware of how web users act.